[wisb] Re: RFI:Finch ID

  • From: David Freriks <dhfreriks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 07:41:35 -0600

Interesting bird and discussion.  Aside from the extensive red, this
appeared to be a House Finch to me as well. It's wonderful we all have a
list like this were we can discuss things like this in a pleasant,
informative discussion!   Dave Freriks. Saukville, WI / southern Ohio
On Mar 2, 2012 7:20 AM, <korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Steve Lubahn and Tom Prestby are both on the records committee as am I for
what it's worth. I also think it's a House Finch (HOFI). Steve's photolink
shows the key points for Purple Finch (PUFI) that are lacking in the Bong
bird.  Several have been mentioned but here are some key ones: straight
culmen, heavier bill, peaked crown. The color on a PUFI looks like
raspberry sauce or jelly rather than the cardinal red of a HOFI. This
raspberry color is much more extensive on the birds and extends well onto
the back and into the wings. The Bong bird has brown wings. Look at the
raspberry wings on Steve's link. I think it was Peterson's guide that
described a male PUFI as looking like it was dipped in raspberry jelly. The
Bong HOFI is more extensively red than most but the color shade and body
features all fit. The House Finches I see on frequent trips to the Texas
Hill Country are larger and more extensively red than Midwest birds so
there is some intraspecific variation.
Mark Korducki,
New Berlin

From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: wisbirdn-bounce@xxxxxx

Anyone from the WSO Records Committee care to weigh in on this discussion???

Wayne Rohde
Walworth, ...