[wisb] Re: RFI:Finch ID

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>, "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 17:27:40 -0600

Tom and all,
For reference purposes, Sid's photos are of a Purple Finch.  The bird in Sid's
photos has a larger bill than would be expected on a House Finch, lack of any
streaking at all, brilliant red coloring all the way down through the chest,
flanks and belly, and, most importantly, has a brown line through the eye which
accentuates the red supercilium. I've found this combination of field marks to
be highly reliable when identifying Purple vs House Finch.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi
Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)