[wisb] Re: RFI: Discouraging house sparrows at bluebird houses

  • From: Peter Dunn <pdunn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: mrstrass@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 13:45:13 -0500

There are some hints about dealing with house sparrows (both active and
passive) at the following web site: http://www.sialis.org/hosp.htm
The Bluebird Restoration Assoc. of Wisconsin (BRAW) also has some good
recommendations in their info packet (see: http://www.braw.org).

One of the main recommendations, though, is to pick a good spot for your
nest-box (yes, sometimes easier said than done!).  If you have house sparrows,
though, I highly recommend that that you first try moving the box to a better
location (more open and away from feeders and livestock).  If that does not
work, then it is probably better to remove the box entirely (or plug it) than
to let house sparrows breed in it.

here is the excerpt on box placement from the BRAW packet:

Location, Location, Location:

1) Need a territorial forage area of 1-3 acres of predominantly open habitat
2) Ideal sites: short, sparse grass with interspersed trees: cemeteries, golf
courses, parks, roadsides, RR tracks
3) Boxes should be totally exposed to sunlight from sunrise until noon;
thereafter, shading is permissable
4) Perch sites:
a) One or more trees (10’+ ideal) right in front or to one side of nest box
(most hunting starts on a perch)
b) Fences (barbed, electric, wooden)
c) Electrical wires, clothes lines
5) Noisy sites okay (interstates, other roadways, railroads, temporary air
shows, church picnics)

Spacing:
1) Space no closer than 100+ yards (1-3 acre territories); encourages Tree
Swallow occupation if boxes are placed
closer than this
2) Pairing reduces bluebird and increases swallow production/box

Peter Dunn, Professor
S497 Lapham Hall
Dept. of Biol. Sciences
Univ. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee