[wisb] RFI: Discouraging house sparrows at bluebird houses

  • From: Mary Strasser <mrstrass@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 11:47:40 -0500

Because of the severe winter this year I had a flock of house sparrows that
joined my usual bird feeder clientele all winter, despite the fact that I only
put out black oil sunflower and nyjer seeds, which are not supposed to be on
the house sparrow's list of favorites.  Some of the house sparrows are now
taking nest materials into my two bluebird houses.
Last year, I had a nesting pair of bluebirds that successfully raised chicks.
I think the same pair is now hanging around my yard looking for nesting sites.
I am discouraged that the house sparrows are claiming the birdhouses.

I had temporarily plugged the birdhouse entry holes to discourage the sparrows.
As soon as I removed the plugs for the bluebirds, the house sparrows started
moving in again.  I have removed the sparrows' nest materials and again plugged
the entry holes.  What can I do to deter the house sparrows so that the
bluebirds can use the birdhouses?  I would prefer non-lethal methods if they
will work.

Mary Strasser in southeast La Crosse
La Crosse County