[wisb] Pyrrhuloxia in WI??

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 23:53:00 -0500

I was just looking at the Facebook page for the Larry Meiller radio show,
and happened to notice a photo that is posted there.  Scroll down the page a
bit to see it.  It’s the one just below the bluebird photo (from Dr. Kent
Hall’s appearance on Wednesday):

https://www.facebook.com/TheLarryMeillerShow

Someone had suggested that the bird in this photo is a Pyrrhuloxia, and the
photo (although not great) seems to support that ID.

Here is what the person who posted it wrote:

“My parents' home is in Strum, WI, south of Eau Claire, WI. I looked up the
Pyrrhuloxia and it stated it was an Arizona scrub brush bird (Southwest
Cardinal). Are you able to ask next week if there are any other ideas for
WI?”

If true, this would be a remarkable record for WI, with only one previous
report in 2005.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.