[wisb] Re: Pyrrhuloxia in WI??

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Tom Schultz <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 00:57:57 -0500

The key to Pyrrhuloxia ID is all in the bill. That big, curved bill is
unmistakable.
On this photo, I cropped it down a bit and I agree with Tom. The bill isn't
curved enough for Pyrrhuloxia, nor is it short enough or small enough.  The
bird is also obviously leucistic, which compounds the ID problem and makes the
crest look long.
In short, it's a leucistic female Northern Cardinal.  Would be nice to get a
PYRR tho.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi
Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)