[wisb] Re: Pyrrhuloxia in WI??

  • From: Gwyn Calvetti <gwyntells@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rory_cameron@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 07:19:29 -0500

My new laptop has an annoying feature that seems to randomly enlarge pages.
 I used that feature to blow this up quite a bit, like 372%..  The bill is
definitely red.
Gwyn Calvetti
LaCrosse County

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Rory Cameron <rory_cameron@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Also, the Pyrrhuloxia bill is yellow, and the bill on this bird looks red.
> Rory CameronChippewa Falls
>
> "We come and go, but the land is always here. And the people who love it
> and understand it are the people who own it?for a little while."   Willa
> Cather
>

> > From: little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx
> > To: trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: [wisb] Re: Pyrrhuloxia in WI??
> > Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 00:57:57 -0500
> >
> > The key to Pyrrhuloxia ID is all in the bill. That big, curved bill is
> unmistakable.
> > On this photo, I cropped it down a bit and I agree with Tom. The bill
> isn't curved enough for Pyrrhuloxia, nor is it short enough or small enough.
>  The bird is also obviously leucistic, which compounds the ID problem and
> makes the crest look long.
> > In short, it's a leucistic female Northern Cardinal.  Would be nice to
> get a PYRR tho.
> >

> > Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist
> Mississippi Explorer Cruises
> > http://mississippiexplorer.com/
> > http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
> > http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto
> >
> > "The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its
> first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again
> inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living
> things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before
> such a one can be again."
> >
> > (From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)
> >

> > > From: trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > Subject: [wisb] Re: Pyrrhuloxia in WI??
> > > Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 00:13:32 -0500
> > >
> > > Even though my initial perception was that the crest was quite long,
> and the
> > > bill appeared fairly heavy and curved, after some closer looks I now
> suspect
> > > that the bird is simply a female Cardinal.  I guess the bird really
> doesn't
> > > appear to be gray enough, and there seems to be too much red in the
> wing.
> > > The true bill shape is hard to determine because of a small branch in
> the
> > > way.
> > >
> > > So, after all my initial excitement, I now believe that it's probably
> not
> > > the southwestern species.
> > >
> > > Tom Schultz
> > > Green Lake Co.

Oh, the stories I could tell you!
Contributing Author, "Telling Stories to Children," NSN
Wisconsin Humanities Council Speakers Bureau Member, 2006-10