[wisb] Re: Oriole Feeder help

  • From: Cathy Gagliardi <patcatgags@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cherryjamcookies@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 01:01:03 +0000 (UTC)

Here's a link to one of my favorites...
http :// www . duncraft .com/BirdsChoice-Oriole-Fest-Feeder
Hummers actually enjoy this feeder too, so keep your nectar ratio at 4-1 and
you can enjoy both species.
When it comes to Orioles, it took me 3 years to figure out how to keep them
throughout the nesting season. I was always so bummed they stuck around for a
week or so, but then moved on. Happy to say, for 13 years now they keep nesting
with me.
Here's what I've found...Oranges attract them - grape jelly keeps the males
around but mealworms are the key for making Mom want to stay. And when offered,
she will not only need them for her egg development but then visit many times a
day once the chicks have hatched.
An open fly-thru feeder (with roof) is also a hit...I'll set 2 dishes in there,
one with grape jelly and the other with mealworms , they absolutely love it.
The roof keeps the mealworms dry and grape jelly is not diluted.
Also, when your orange halves are cleaned out put grape jelly in them.
Good luck, they should be arriving the 1st week in May.
Cathy Gagliardi
St. Paul, MN