[wisb] Re: Oriole Feeder help

  • From: deerpix@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cherryjamcookies@xxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lowvillecarver@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 17:45:10 -0700

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/400631_10201002806262747_1129012485_n.jpg
This is a link to a picture of an Oriole feeder we bought last spring from Wild
Birds Unlimited in Mequon. We also have several homemade grape jelly & orange
feeders in our yard.

http://deerpix.com/2012%20pix/Summer%20Tanager.jpg
this link shows one of the homemade feeders being used by a Summer Tanager; he
seemed to like the oranges best but didn't hang around very long.

The orioles, both Baltimore and Orchard love the grape jelly.  The oranges seem
to attract them in the early spring when they are arriving.

Bob Huebner
Cedarburg, Ozaukee County

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: [wisb] Oriole Feeder help
From: "Judy s." <cherryjamcookies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 4/3/14 6:40 pm
To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I could use some feedback on good oriole feeders for jelly and
organes. I've used a nectar type feeder in the past, but I'm giving
up on it this year. It's just too hard to clean and refill one of
those daily/often with the liquid slopping all around when you're
walking with a cane in each hand as well (or trundling around in a
wheelchair). :)

I've got Sky Cafe feeders for seed and love them, but would really
like opinions backchannel of the good, the bad and the ugly on the Sky
Cafe oriole feeder as well as alternative choices of jelly/orange
combo feeders before I order anything. Thoughts about particular
feeders that might be especially easy for cleaning and filling for
someone who's disabled without a lot of dexterity and strength more
than welcome!.

Thanks -- you guys are the best. The info everyone sent on scopes was great!

Judy s.
Outagamie County