[wisb] Re: Off-topic: Birding & Coffee Shop Stops

  • From: Gwyn Calvetti <gwyntells@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vesper.sparrow@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 21:52:47 -0600

I will second Gina's Pies are Square.  Great coffee shop in Whitehall
Wisconsin called "Alternative Ground."  Old restored building, laid back
atmosphere and great scones.  They don't care how I look coming in from
exploring some of the valleys off the beaten track in Trempealeau County.
 Great stop for anyone heading toward the Tremp Wildlife Refuge from the
north.

In LaCrosse, check out Bean Juice in Jackson Plaza, also known at Highway
33.  They roast and grind their own.

Gwyn Calvetti
LaCrosse County

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Eric Wood <vesper.sparrow@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> If you're going to bird the Kickapoo Valley Reserve, Wildcat Mountain State
> Park, or the Elroy-Sparta bike trail, Gina's Pies Are Square in Wilton is a
> great local cafe with tasty pies, good food, and coffee. It's worth a stop.
>
> Eric Wood
> Madison
> Dane County
>

> > From: harrierhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: [wisb] Off-topic: Birding & Coffee Shop Stops
> > Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:14:17 -0600
> >
> > Name your favorite local birding coffee stop around the state!!!
> >
> > One of my favorite things to do on a day out birding is to stop at a
> great local coffee shop (not a gas station!) near sites that I will be
> visiting.  I like those special drinks with complicated names, like
> "Chocolate Mint Mocha Double Shot Espresso Extra Hot Latte........"!
> >
> > Favorite places for me near Milwaukee are Alterra by McKinley Marina
> along Lake Michigan and further north is The City Market in Shorewood on
> Capitol Drive.  Out in Waukesha County it's the Milwaukee Street Traders in
> Delafield and Stone Creek Coffee in Oconomowoc.
> >
> > I'd love to hear about others....... :)
> >
> > Andrea Szymczak
> >
> > Waukesha, WI

> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
> > Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.

> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.

Gwyn Calvetti
Oh, the stories I could tell you!
President HasBeen, Northlands Storytelling Network
Contributing Author, "Telling Stories to Children," NSN
Wisconsin Humanities Council Speakers Bureau Member, 2006-08