[wisb] Madison capitol, David's video

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <flores.david84@xxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:13:35 -0500

First of all,

David the frog in your video is not a spring peeper but a chorus frog, I am
pretty sure.  My friend studies frogs at the U of MI in Ann Arbor and
confirmed.  That sound that sounds like rubbing your finger along a comb is a
chorus frog.  Thought others might like to know too.  I am still learning my
frogs and happened to be looking them up yesterday and found this site which
has MP3s with all of their sounds:

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/ce/eek/critter/amphibian/frogident.htm

Also as I approached near the capitol this morning I suddenly heard a
white-throated sparrow singing in one of the trees.  Very nice.  As I went to
look for it I saw some birds move in the bushes.  Managed to get a look at a
chipping sparrow but could not find the other one.  Then heard what sounded
like a towhee in the bushes across the path.  So I went over, squatted down and
there it was and it soon flushed out.  And nearby then I saw a hermit thrush.
So, these bushes appear to be northern whitecedar (AKA Eastern arborvitae),
which I think are new.  It may be that the birds like them.  Not bad for 5
minutes work.

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.