[wisb] Fwd: Singing thrushes

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:15:15 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Singing thrushes
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 05:02:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lennie Lichter <lennieandmaria@xxxxxxxxx>
To: pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Peter.
I was wondering if you could please post this on wisbirdN for me.  Thanks.

Lennie

Hi folks.
I just wanted to remind the birders in southern Wisconsin that now is
the time to get out early in the morning to a neighboring woodland and
try to hear the beautiful songs of the Hermit Thrushes as they migrate
northward.  I was lying in bed this morning at 6:00 listening to a Robin
or two singing when I suddenly realized that fact myself.

So I headed up our Spring Valley Trail and, even though it was light out
already (I have had more luck in past years when it was darker than
that), I soon heard one sing just one phrase off to my right while I
could also hear another one farther along the trail.  The first one
didn't cooperate again so I continued up the trail and soon heard the
second one singing.  Then the first one sang a few phrases too and from
that spot I could actually hear three thrushes singing at the same time
though they didn't sing very long.

I continued up the trail until I was above the Spring and I could hear a
fourth one calling down the hill from me so I sat there a few minutes
until he sang a few phrases.  That's the first time I have heard that
many singing in one day but usually the one or two I hear will sing for
longer periods of time.  Good luck!

Lennie Lichter
Monroe County
e-mail lennieandmaria AT yahoo.com