[wisb] Re: Hustisford shorebirds

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 19:17:02 -0500

I went back to the river behind the substation this afternoon with stool,
scope and field guide. I sat with the birds for nearly 2 hours till rain
moved in. I feel my estimate of 200-300 shorebirds was accurate, probably
closer to 300. This afternoon came up with 7 species. Could not find the
sanderling I'm sure I saw this morning. And after studying the phalaropes
over and over I'm pretty sure they were all Wilsons. Pretty inexperienced
at them. Did come up with the same count as this morning though, 11. Also
there had to be at least a thousand swallows working the bugs above the
river the entire time, some flying by at 10'. There were a few cedar
waxwings and before I left some chimney swifts showed up. And had a visit
from one gull and one pigeon. As I was leaving 2 great blue herons came in.
So close to home might go back early tomorrow morning to see if the cold
front brings anything else in.
Dave Schrab

Hustisford WI

Dodge Co