[wisb] Hustisford shorebirds

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 11:37:14 -0500

Since they cleaned it up below the dam in Husty is not what it used to be
for passerines. But with the very low water levels, can nearly walk acorss
in some spots, there is limited but very good shorebird habitat. Stopped to
check it out earlier and was excited to find 200-300 shorebirds in this
small area. If my eyes served me right I saw 9 species, both yellowlegs,
pectoral, spotted, solitary, killdeer, red-necked and wilsons phalaropes
and at least 1 sanderling. I was very surprised to see the phalaropes, best
count was 11. The sanderling was also my first for WI. The majority of the
birds were several hundred yards downstream from the dam behind the power
substation. With a slow steady approach I was within 50' of some of them
and less then 100' from the majority. I wanted to stay longer but had other
commitments. Will probably stop back toward evening with scope, stool and
field guide.
Dave Schrab

Hustisford WI

Dodge Co