[wisb] Re: "Chuck" is back in Jackson County!

  • From: Cutright.Noel <Noel.Cutright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'cmauer@xxxxxxx'" <cmauer@xxxxxxx>, "calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx" <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 12:28:02 +0000

This is from Birds of North America account for Chuck - length 28-32 cm, with
wing 20.0-22.5 cm and tail 12.8-15.1 cm; mass about 110 g, males with white on
inner webs of outer 3 rectrices, which are tipped with cinnamon-buff (white
patches visible on dorsal surface of tail when spread); female lacks white in
tail. Sexes otherwise alike in appearance; male averages slightly larger than
female (considerable overlap, however): wing on male 20.5-22.5 cm and on female
20.0-21.9 cm; tail on male 13.4-15.1 cm and on female 12.8-14.4 cm.
For the Eastern Whip-poor-will - Medium-sized nightjar, 22-26 cm in length,
43.0-63.7 g body mass.
Here's some info on Chuck behavior:
Typically silent flight-numerous flaps and a glide. When prey, usually a flying
insect, is encountered, opens mouth quickly, sometimes with a quick dive and
chase when additional pursuit is required. These flights take place at heights
ranging from a few meters to about 20 m above ground. Shorter flights or
sallies also made from exposed perches into open air space to capture prey,
followed by return to the same or a different perch. High buoyancy index, large
wings and tail, and relatively large pectoral muscles and aspect ratio suggest
a flight with quick maneuverability and frequent glides
Males chase one another during territorial disputes. Chasing is accompanied by
Growl. Females known to chase males, possibly in mating events.

Noel Cutright, Ozaukee County