[wisb] "Chuck" is back in Jackson County!

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 09:00:40 -0500

In my lack-of-sleep-stupor, I neglected to post this Thursday evening.  Jim
Otto called me Thursday morning (while I was on the WSO trip) and said he'd
gone up to Bartos/Staffon Rd. Wednesday, where, for the ninth year in a row,
there was a Chuck-wills-widow just west of the prison a few miles east of Black
River Falls and a mile north of Hwy 54.  (I was riding shotgun with Daryl
Tessen, who correctly guessed who I was talking to, and what we were
discussing...)

Jim said the bird started calling shortly after 8:30 p.m., and he even saw it
fly once, since it wasn't fully dark yet.  We are strongly suspecting that this
is offspring of the "original" bird - Daryl pointed out that most previous
reports from other locations have lasted for three consecutive years at most,
and Bill Brooks was sure he'd seen a pair of birds there several years ago.

Anyone going up there for the first time should keep in mind that you're very
close to prison property, so don't park near the intersection with Kirch Rd.
Park well down the road to the west (at least a couple hundred yards. You'll
easily hear the "Chuck" calling - it's loud.)  The prison personnel may still
come to check on you, although I think they're used to this by now.  Just don't
go wandering off into the woods to the north - stay on the road.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI