[wisb] Re: "Chuck" is back in Jackson County!

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 09:50:42 -0500

Last night on my drive home from the Cities, I detoured over to try to hear
Charles the Third (I presume). Around 11:15 after a nice encounter with a
Porcupine on Kirch Rd, I drove a little west past the prison (in retrospect
probably not enough). I had two Whippoorwills blasting away, and thought
maybe he wasn't around, but it turned out he probably shut up because I
stopped right next to him. He started up and serenaded me for 5-10 minutes,
but I couldn't stay longer.
I stopped the car a few times on the way back to HIghway 54 to listen, and
had at least 2 whippoorwills at each stop. Seems like really interesting
habitat (at least in the dark).

A nice lifer, even if I couldn't stay longer. Never would have expected
that for Wisconsin prior to moving here.

Jesse Ellis
Madison, WI

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> In my lack-of-sleep-stupor, I neglected to post this Thursday evening.
>  Jim Otto called me Thursday morning (while I was on the WSO trip) and said
> he'd gone up to Bartos/Staffon Rd. Wednesday, where, for the ninth year in
> a row, there was a Chuck-wills-widow just west of the prison a few miles
> east of Black River Falls and a mile north of Hwy 54.  (I was riding
> shotgun with Daryl Tessen, who correctly guessed who I was talking to, and
> what we were discussing...)
>
> Jim said the bird started calling shortly after 8:30 p.m., and he even saw
> it fly once, since it wasn't fully dark yet.  We are strongly suspecting
> that this is offspring of the "original" bird - Daryl pointed out that most
> previous reports from other locations have lasted for three consecutive
> years at most, and Bill Brooks was sure he'd seen a pair of birds there
> several years ago.
>
> Anyone going up there for the first time should keep in mind that you're
> very close to prison property, so don't park near the intersection with
> Kirch Rd.  Park well down the road to the west (at least a couple hundred
> yards. You'll easily hear the "Chuck" calling - it's loud.)  The prison
> personnel may still come to check on you, although I think they're used to
> this by now.  Just don't go wandering off into the woods to the north -
> stay on the road.
>
> Peter Fissel
> Madison WI
> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn