[wisb] Re: "Chuck" is back in Jackson County!

  • From: Cathy <cmauer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 21:21:38 -0500

We stopped there last night (Monday) on our way home from Madison to
Medford. We arrived just after 8:00 p.m. and first heard Whip-poor-wills
about 8:30 or so. At about 8:45 we heard the Chuck-will's-widow quite
far to the northwest. About 9:00 a Whip-poor-will started calling almost
overhead on the south side of the road, followed shortly thereafter by
the Chuck-will's-widow very close to us on the north side of the road.
The latter moved among several trees. Then, while it was still light
enough to see silhouettes, we saw two nightjars, one chasing or
following the other, fly from the north side of the road to the south,
circle around a tree, and disappear. This flight was accompanied by what
I think was wing-clapping. There appeared to be a noticeable size
difference between the two birds, and, since I cannot find any
indication in field guides or on the internet that there is a size
difference based on gender, I suspect one bird was the
Chuck-will's-widow and the other was a Whip-poor-will. We stayed about
another five minutes or so but did not hear either again.

FYI, there were almost no mosquitoes, unlike previous years when I've
been there. Not to say there won't be.

Cathy Mauer
near Medford, Taylor County