[wisb] Re: Book, recording ideas

  • From: "Kevin Kearns" <dkkearns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:44:23 -0500

I came into birding through botany so I have a pretty good background in
plants. However, we get around the multiple field guide dilemma by have two
fanny packs, one for me and one for Dawn. Sometimes the kids want to carry
one, but not always. This way we have a field guide for butterflies,
insects, plants (Newcombes) and birds (Nat Geo). It also helps when the kids
either get A) bored, or B) have a question about something we can't ID.

I for one prefer books over any type of technology carried into the field. I
will usually have my digital camera, but nothing else so an app would not do
anything for someone like me.

Kevin Kearns
Lake Mills

_______________________________
rom: Pastor Al Schirmacher <pastoral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
o: mou-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; mnbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
IRDCHAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
ent: Thu, April 28, 2011 12:50:32 PM
ubject: [wisb] Book, recording ideas
Two potential birding/naturalist tools hit me in the last couple of days:

* "Plant & Animal Identification for the Birder" - so many of us did not
come into birding through naturalism/biology, and still have not penetrated
the depths and mysteries of what else is around us. As a field trip leader,
one hears many questions, yet it's simply not cost or trip effective to
carry the ten extra specialized guides that handle all the flora and fauna.
Of course, such books or tools would have to be regional in outlook.

* "Flight Calls" - so many of the IPhone apps/CD's & related tools primarily
cover the songs, but don't cover flight (or other) calls - half of our field
ID issues.

Of course, if either of these books/tools exist, let us know!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties