[wisb] Re: Book, recording ideas

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pastoral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:52:49 -0500

I know what you mean about the lack of flight calls on iPod apps - I
have three different ones (Natl. Geog., iBird Explorer Pro and Bird
Tunes,) and none of the three has a Lapland Longspur rattle call.  How
is that possible?  At least two out of three have the Smith's Longspur
rattle, but I'd sure like to be able to compare them back-to-back.  It's
frustrating.  I really need to load my CDs onto my iPod, but just
haven't gotten around to it yet...

As to your larger question, Al, I think the future of field guides will
be in iPhone/iPod/iPad apps.  I was slow to embrace the technology, but
it sure is handy to have multiple field guides on one small device -
that also plays songs!  And there are getting to be more regional apps
available - the excellent Wisconsin Butterflies one replicates the
website nicely.  One hopes as handheld devices become more ubiquitous,
there will be more of these specialized regional apps developed.

And hey - my iPod has a camera, so I can always take a picture of a
plant I don't know and ID it later! (But I won't count it on my life
list... ahem.)

Peter Fissel
Madison WI