[wisb] Re: Book, recording ideas

  • From: Emily Stone <ontheloose7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pastoral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:32:38 -0700 (PDT)

I came to birding and naturalizing all at once (at birth), and have training in
botany.

I'm not sure what would be different about plant and animal ID for birder's
specifically, (I do use binoculars to look at tree leaves sometimes :-)
but I can recommend a flower guide that I like:

Newcomb's Wildflower Guide has a simple dichotmous key, and is also arranged by
flower color and type.  It's a classic.

While that doesn't allow you to identify everything, it's a start.

My solution is usually to carry just my bird book and my flower book.  Almost
everything else I can remember until I get home.

When I worked in Utah there was a fantastic Falcon Guide called "Naturalists
Guide to Canyon Country" that had birds, fish, plants, geology, everything!  It
was a great resource, but there isn't one like that for Wisconsin that I've
ever
seen.  A book like that leaves out a lot, too.  Your best bet is just to bird
with friends who are naturalists and can be your walking field guides!  Also
remember the educational philosphy that answering questions right away,
especially about ID, can sometimes quiet the curious mind.  Often if a person
has to work a little harder to solve a natural mystery they will retain the
information longer, and also be inspired to seek out more information.

Cheers,

Emily Stone

Naturalist/Educator
Cable Natural History Museum