[wisb] Re: Black-legged Kittiwake?

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 07:43:36 -0700

The black collar on first-cycle Black-legged Kittiwakes can be readily missed
depending on the distance, lighting, and angle of bird's flight.  On the other
hand, many first-cycle Bonaparte's Gulls can show a dusky color that highly
resembles that of kittiwakes, especially earlier in fall, so this feature alone
is not entirely reliable.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady