[wisb] Re: Black-legged Kittiwake?

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 10:12:41 -0800 (PST)

I think I'm going to call this bird a Kittiwake, based on John Idzikowski's
information on the historical essential absence of Boni's in Milwaukee in
January, the size of the bird (relative to the nearby Scaups), and the fact
that first winter BL Kittiwakes don't always have the dark neck collar (or that
it isn't always visible).

I didn't even think of Kittiwake at first because of the neck collar thing,
even though everything else was consistent with the species. Thanks to Max
Witynski for suggesting off-list that it could have been a Kittiwake. I'm sure
enough of this ID to check it off as 12-month BIGBY species #198. Not sure I
could convince a records committee, though.

By the way, I went back to McKinley Beach yesterday to try to relocate the
bird, with no luck. Coincidentally, a first winter BL Kittiwake showed up on
the Chicago lakefront this morning.

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee