[WinPrnDev] Re: Creating a Printer Driver

  • From: Tamas Demjen <tdemjen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 08:50:27 -0700 (PDT)

I assume you have a PDF printer driver, or metafile to PDF converter, or PS to
PDF. In that tool you can theoretically go from color to grayscale or bilevel.
You can even convert a color PDF or XPS into a grayscale one. You can't go from
grayscale to color, though, and you can't change the paper size, at least it
would be terribly hard to reflow the text afterwards.

I haven't tried this, but here's how you're supposed to go grayscale in
GhostScript:
http://handyfloss.net/2008.09/making-a-pdf-grayscale-with-ghostscript/

For the XPS to PDF route, the easiest would be to print the XPS document to a
PDF printer driver. That won't preserve the hyperlinks and bookmarks, but you
can parse those from the XML and put them into the PDF.

Tom