[WinPrnDev] Re: Creating a Printer Driver

  • From: Rune Moberg <jjflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:46:13 +0100

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Sam Elamin <hussam_88@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for your email, what I am trying to do is to print wirelessly across
> networks, and I figured if I create a print driver that works as an
> application then that would be the best option, but it seems getting the
> path of a document is virutally impossible so whats the best way to get a
> document printed via a printer on a client side and have that document
> released on a print server which is a part of a different network

I am going to bite one more time. There are too many custom-developed
solutions in the world already.

The word "wirelessly" is redundant. Whether a user is using wi-fi or
an ethernet cable is often transparent to the user. Shared resources
are still accessible given a normal network configuration.

The "different network" requirement is why you're about to spend lots
of time on something that has already been solved. You are trying to
do the job of the network admin while wearing your developer hat.
You're thinking like a developer rather than simply ask the network
admin the obvious question: "Why?".

Sending a document from A to B is only a small part of the equation.
Have you considered DOS attacks? You could easily end up in a
situation where someone in Japan has depleted your paper supply
through the use of your software. The rainforrest will disappear.

If the network is open, then sharing a printer is _very_ easy. The
problem arises when network A have to trust network B. Once you solve
that problem (and it is a big one), you might discover that you can
use off-the-shelf software and end up with a more secure solution. (A
VPN client is a very obvious choice for the scenario you describe)

If your network admin is a nit, you still have to co-operate with
him/her to install your server software on the inside of the victim's
network.

--
Rune
---