[windows2000] Re: Removing unneeded files off of the C drive

  • From: "Jim Hathaway" <JimH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:25:44 -0700

Rod,

Try searching on your C: for *.dmp files, if your server has ever
blue-screened or errored while running applications you'll probably find
at least 1 or 2 of these which you should be able to delete without
issue.

Take a look also at a freeware utility called 'Treesize' it's very handy
in quickly analyzing drives and organizing files / folders by size, so
you can find all your big files and folders quickly.

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

You may also want to consider adjusting your System File Checker
settings (SFC). This is done via command line, group policy, or through
the registry. The default setting for the SFC on win2k servers is 300
mb. I will generally force the SFC to use a certain amount of drive
space on C: such as "sfc /cachesize=50", following this up with a 'sfc
/purgecache' command will clear up a good deal of space if you've never
ran it before. However you should understand the implications of purging
your Windows File Protection cache before doing it. Check the following
articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222471

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBE/tip2000/rh2074.htm

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBE/tip2000/rh2075.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;222193

HTH

From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:41:43 -0400

But lose the ability to create a pagedump.

And we all know how useful a pagedump is... ;-)

Back from vacation again Ray? :-P

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.

than buying more servers.