[windows2000] Re: Printer issues

  • From: Patrick <london31uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:08:47 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Jim,
Will give it all a go

----- Original Message ----
From: Jim Kenzig http://thin.ms <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 1:54:14 PM
Subject: [windows2000] Re: Printer issues

Drivers seem to matter.  While some claim that PCL6 is supposed to be faster,
we have noted just the opposite and that in most cases PCL5 printing was
spitting the job out faster.   Go to printers applet. File/Server Properties
and choose the drivers tab and get rid of any drivers that are not used.  The
less drivers loaded the better,  Than also verify that you've got the most
updated version of the drivers on the server and reinstall newer if
necessary.   If you look at the ports and choose the one you are using and
click on configure you can also try messing with the transmission retry number
to see if there is any improvement. Reset the print spool services after making
changes for best results.
Also on the advanded properties tab of the printe try setting the spool section
to start printing immediately if it isn't set that way.  Also make sure the
system account has full control of windows, system32, spool, printers folder
and you can add your users to this folder and give them read write access but
that shouldn't be necessary.

Jim Kenzig
Blog: http://www.techblink.com

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:51 AM, Patrick <london31uk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Guys,

We are having problems with about 6 users on a remote site, they currently have
a file and print server hosted on a Windows 2003 VM on VMware.

Now the issue is that when they print, half way through the print job
especially if it is large (10pages and above), the printing pauses and they
have to hit the resume botton on the pc to get it going again.

I have connected to the printers and can print ok. Just wondering if anyone has
seen this before? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick