[windows2000] Re: Printer issues

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thin.ms" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 08:54:14 -0400

Drivers seem to matter.  While some claim that PCL6 is supposed to be
faster, we have noted just the opposite and that in most cases PCL5 printing
was spitting the job out faster.   Go to printers applet. File/Server
Properties and choose the drivers tab and get rid of any drivers that are
not used.  The less drivers loaded the better,  Than also verify that you've
got the most updated version of the drivers on the server and reinstall
newer if necessary.   If you look at the ports and choose the one you are
using and click on configure you can also try messing with the transmission
retry number to see if there is any improvement. Reset the print spool
services after making changes for best results.
Also on the advanded properties tab of the printe try setting the spool
section to start printing immediately if it isn't set that way.  Also make
sure the system account has full control of windows, system32, spool,
printers folder and you can add your users to this folder and give them read
write access but that shouldn't be necessary.

Jim Kenzig
Blog: http://www.techblink.com