[windows2000] Re: PDC Emulator

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:34:06 -0500

The PDC emulator is also a "traffic cop" for certain domain-wide operations
as well.

Remember that while one of the primary benefits of an Active Directory is it
multi-master style of management (i.e., you can make changes to the domain
by changing any DC and the changes get replicated) there are certain things
that do not fit well in the Multi-master environment.

The primary one that comes to mind is password changes.  Due to the
criticality of maintaining the integrity of passwords accross multiple DC's,
the PDC emulator receives preferential treatment for password change
replication from other DC's.  It then can mediate between multiple changes
received by multiple DC's, and ensure that all of them are in synch at the
end.

Just didn't want you to think you could turn off your PDC Emulator once you
get an all Win2K domain...

Also, to clarify what is said below:

Mixed mode = both Win2K and WinNT4 DOMAIN CONTROLLERS.  The clients on the
network do not matter.
Native Mode = All Win2K DOMAIN CONTROLLERS.  The clients on the network do
not matter.

But the PDC emulator is where the down-level (pre WinNT) clients
authenticate to, so it is particularly critical in those environments that
(mixed or native) contain down-level clients.

HTH,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.