[windows2000] Re: Off Topic: HIPAA - my brain hurts

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rjfalanga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 06:44:26 -0600

Greg,

We have to deal with HIPPA where I work, too.  The whole issue of "HIPPA
Compliant" code/software is a big one for me.  I've been asking for
clarification as to how much we have to comply to it, but have never =
heard.
Probably a good part of why I haven't heard is because we've been =
undergoing
a change in management, and so other issues have come to the fore.

Anyway, not that I claim to be any expert concerning HIPPA, but I do =
think
that they programmer you're referring to, is likely to be correct.  I do =
not
believe that HIPPA would address the form in which users' passwords are
protected (or not).  Mainly because HIPPA addresses patient health =
records,
how they're stored, protected and transmitted; and a password is not a =
part
of the patient's health.  (I'm just addressing the technical nature of
HIPPA, to the extent that I understand not.  I am not addressing the =
lack of
security with regards to the passwords themselves.)  Personally, and
professionally for that matter, I would agree with the programmer that
passwords for users is not a part of HIPPA, since they are users' =
passwords
and not patients' passwords.  I would doubt that patients even have
passwords (in most organizations).

As I've written the above, a thought occurred to me that might help you. =
still believe that, generally speaking, the saving of passwords for =
users
(who are not necessarily patients and probably in most cases are not) in
plain text does not violate HIPPA requirements.  However, if some (all?) =
of
those passwords could be used by anyone to access applications which =
gives
direct access to patients' protected health information, then by =
extension
of the HIPPA requirements I'd say that leaving passwords in plain text =
could
lean to the potential for violating HIPPA confidentiality.=20

Rod
=20