[windows2000] Re: Off Topic: HIPAA - my brain hurts

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:42:17 -0700

>From: "Rod Falanga" <rjfalanga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Anyway, not that I claim to be any expert concerning HIPPA, but I do
>think that the programmer you're referring to, is likely to be
>correct.  I do not believe that HIPPA would address the form in which
>users' passwords are protected (or not).  Mainly because HIPPA
>addresses patient health records, how they're stored, protected and
>transmitted; and a password is not a part of the patient's health.

Not true.  The privacy rule (which took effect Apr 14th) requires that
patient records be kept confidential.  The security rule gives a number of
guidelines on how to accomplish this.  If you were compromised and it turned
out that you had failed to properly protect the passwords you could be
heavily fined.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens.  The
sleeper must awaken." -- Duke Leto Atreides