[windows2000] Re: Off Topic: HIPAA - my brain hurts

  • From: "Chris Ruggeri" <cruggeri@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 06:48:16 -0600

Thanks for the info Chris!

-----Original Message-----
From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Chris Berry
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 5:07 PM
To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [windows2000] Re: Off Topic: HIPAA - my brain hurts

>From: "Chris Ruggeri" <cruggeri@xxxxxxxxxx>
>It's a new Federal regulation going into affect...basically to
>safeguard access to medical records of patients.

That's right.

>As I understood...it just went into effect; however, I believe there
>was a 2yr grace period to become compliant....if that is incorrect, I
>would appreciate a correction.

The privacy rule took effect as of April 14th, the security rule takes
effect in 2005, but if the privacy rule is violated before then, they can
still gig you for failing to apply the stuff in the security rule.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens.  The
sleeper must awaken." -- Duke Leto Atreides