[windows2000] Re: OT: email problem while traveling

  • From: Chris Berry <chris_berry-list-windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:29:39 -0800

Art Bain wrote:

| I hope someone can point me in the right direction with this issue
since it's not really a Windows problem.

| I work for a small company that has two users who travel frequently to
various locations in the states, China, and Hong Kong. They use
Compuserve and ACN to access the internet. They don't use Compuserve
email. They have POP3 and SMTP servers hosted by their local ISP, so
their dialup is relayed through to their own email server. I'm not sure
what software they are using for their email server. The client software
is Outlook XP. Anyway, they started having a problem sending mail while
on the road. Their ISP told them that he's been opening their server to
all these remote address ranges, but if he opens too many he'll be seen
as a possible spam location. He wants them to use the web interface, but
they need to have access to all the other messages in Outlook and be
able to forward old messages. Here's an example of the error message:

<our.user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> to intended.recipient@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for
67.74.106.59

| The question I have is do any of you support users that travel
extensively and how do you handle their email? This company is going to
start loosing business if we don't get this problem solved.

| Any help at all will be met with heaps of praise and gratitude!
|
| Art

It would help if we knew what kind of email server the ISP was running.
~ Basically this is a relay control issue.  It sounds like the guy at the
ISP has been adding entire networks to his allowed relayer's list which
is totally stupid, tell him to deploy SMTP AUTH or POP BEFORE SMTP
authentication both of which are supported by even a broken email client
like Outlook.

- --
Chris Berry
chris_berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates & Coast Business Service

"He who laughs last probably made a back-up." --Murphy's Seventh law of
computing