[windows2000] Re: New RDP Client, again

  • From: "Jim Kenzig ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 11:32:50 -0500

Also check out this cool gadget for Vista/XP from Frameworkx....

http://www.frameworkx.com/frameworkx/solution.aspx?id=405

Jim

On 3/1/07, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ray Costanzo <> wrote on Thursday, March 01, 2007 4:44 PM:

I have had my issues with the new client as well. Musch along the same
lines
as you do. Sometimes I'm able to logon w/o any problem with the
credentials I
want and sometimes now. I don't see it being consistent at all. It's seems
it's all or nothing, ie either you use one credential for all, or none, at
which point you have to enter it every time. Security wise it's good I
guess,
but it's as you point out a great PITA as well.

Well, maybe next release will be better. 8*)

> Hi list,
>

> I'd like to share an opinion.  THE NEW RDP CLIENT SUCKS!
>

> Here are my issues:
>

> .         The way that it saves logon credentials is very
frustrating.  For
> one, it takes about 15 steps to get the credentials setup, and as far as
> can tell, I can't setup RDP files with saved credentials without
actually
> connecting to the remote machine.
>
> .         Secondly, it seems that the logon credentials are not stored
in
> the RDP file.  This is infuriating.  I have a bunch of RDP files, many
of
> which connect to the same machine.  But, they are meant to have
different
> logon credentials.  But, this seems to no longer be possible, since the
> credentials are saved on a per-host basis.  I'm going to have to fall
back
> to setting up unique host names in my HOSTS file to get around this.
>
> .         What the hell is the point in making me enter logon
credentials
> in the RDP client instead of just entering them in the Windows logon
dialog
> box if I've chosen not to specify credentials yet?  It seems as though
the
> reasoning behind this has something to do with security.  I guess this
> kinda makes sense, although it's only applicable when connecting to
another
> Vista machine (and the new server OS, I'll assume).  I also find this to
be
> a bit of a PITA, and I hope it's a configurable option on the host
machine
> whether or not to allow ad-hoc connections to the logon screen.
>
> .         The logon credentials dialog box requires too many clicks, but
> this seems to be the theme in Vista.
>
> .         I can understand (but don't like) why I can't paste the
password
> textbox in the user credentials dialog, but why can't I paste into the
> username area?  Basic functionality.
>

> Thanks for letting me bitch.
>

> Ray at work

Jim Kenzig