[windows2000] Re: How to tighten up your network - suggestions

  • From: Steve Snyder <kwajalein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 08:42:25 +1200

Disable usb drives (GPO)
remove cd-rom and floppy drives
password protect the bios
lock the cases
disallow access to local drives (GPO)
Don't allow to save from IE (GPO)
M$ Shared Desktop toolkit (like deep freeze but free and GPO friendly) -
can't stop them and can undo the damage with a reboot

Conversations with their parents about their actrivities should be a given.
Surely you make them sign an aaaceptable use policy before allowing them on?

Where I am many of those actions will get you canned, possibly arrested. We
don't allow usb drives, mcafee epo is set to delete a lot of extra stuff and
we're implementing mcafee hips. My citrix servers are locked down way more
than that of course.