[windows2000] Re: File recovery

  • From: Jennifer Hooper <jennifer.hooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:48:01 -0700

Undelete is quite good.... we have used it on file servers.  The problem is,
it doesn't work too well if the user calls 3 days later.  It's good for
instanteous recovery:  Ooooops!  I just deleted the accounts payable report
templates... can you get it back?  Not:  Ummm.... I deleted this file a week
ago, can you get it back?  Or worse:  I overwrote this file with the wrong
version, can you get it back?    These are where tapes save us.

Now.  That being said, there are SAN's/NAS's that do file snapshots, and
that is another way to get the data back instantly.  But this uses 2x the
amount of disks as you have allocated.  It depends on what you have
available, as this is at the hardware level.

Jen

  _____

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bill Beckett
Posted At: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 8:59 AM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] File recovery
Subject: [windows2000] File recovery

What do you guys use for file recovery other than tape backup? For instance,
Netware has a program called filer which enables you to instantly recover a
deleted file until purged. What do you use for a Windows equivalent on a
2000 file server when a file needs to be recovered quickly?