Re: Ripping: Encoding tab options

  • From: Reg Webb <reg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:12:59 +0100

Hi Petro and all

I hope the list owners don't mind my getting into this a bit, since the
settings do occur in Winamp.  It won't be too much I promise, since I
don't know that much.

"Joint stereo" encodes everything in the middle as a shared process
between the channels.  In a true stereo file, it's like two halves of it
being encoded separately.  If you listen to a lot of stuff in which
separation is crucial to you, then you might find true stereo an
advantage.  My old ears don't hear much difference for casual listening
but, you might want to try both on a test recording of, for instance, a
solo piano recorded in a live room, listening on headphones.  As I say,
I think joint stereo is fine, but I'm not you.

The only advantage of CBR really is that you can predict the file size
in advance, because the encoding process just goes on irrespective of
the source material.  Again, I think VBR works very well.  However much
space you have, there's no sense in using it if you can't hear the
difference.  Much to the relief of all concerned, I don't know about the
other stereo configurations, but I'm sure a Google search could tell you
more than you ever wanted to know.  If you're going to research into the
darker corners of lossy compression, make sure your math is well up to
speed.  These people are scary!

--
Reg Webb
Website: