Ripping: Encoding tab options

  • From: <petrakigianos-giasou@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 05:35:46 -0700 (PDT)

I use Winamp 5.05 Pro, Win XP home edition and JFW 5.10. You can
set the encoding within Winamp to tell it to rip in 4 formats.
For me anyway and this may vary from pc to pc. So if you have an
audio cd in standard audio format you can rip it to your hard
drive. I plan to use the mp3 1.2 encoder for now but I need some
help with some of the options. Below is the way I do it to get
to the encoding settings to tell how Winamp to rip in what audio
format to my hard drive.

Open your Winamp 5.05 player. Do a ctrl+p keystroke. A tree view
appears. Arrow down to General preferences. If it says close
then do a right arrow and you will hear it say open. If it says
open when you land on General preferences then arrow down to the
8 items. When you arrow down go to the CD ripping item and then
do a few tabs. 2 tabs I believe. You are on a diloag box with
quite a few tab/page setting controls. The ctrl+tab command does
not work for me so I have to use my jaws cursor to find the
"encoding page tab" and do a left mouse click using the insert
plus another key on the num pad. Now I am in the Winamp Encoding
settings. Use your tab key to listen to various settings you can
choose in this area. My questions are:

1. What is VBR that I hear. Mine is on VBR New.
2. I hear minimum bit rate is 96. I know the higher the bit rate
the better.
3. I hear my maximum bit rate is 224? but I hear 256 is the
best.
4. There are some other settings and mine are at normal, and one
combox box that JFW doesn't read well. It is the lsast combo box
there it says "1" 2 of ten. What is this box setting.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Within this same screen you can choose the Ripping tab to tell
Winamp where to to rip your audio cds to on your hard drive.
That is which folder.

Hope this helps somebody.