Re: Ripping: Encoding tab options

  • From: Reg Webb <reg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:05:51 +0100

petrakigianos-giasou@xxxxxxxxx writes
>My questions are:
>
>1. What is VBR that I hear. Mine is on VBR New.

Reg replies:
VBR stands for "variable bit rate".  The alternative is CBR "constant
bit rate".  It aims to allocate more encoding power to the more complex
material in a file, so the bit rate will vary, saving space when there's
not much going on, with better quality available for complex music. "VBR
new" is simply the name of a preset.

>2. I hear minimum bit rate is 96. I know the higher the bit rate
>the better.

Reg replies:
You can set a higher minimum, either with the relevant combo box, or via
one of those presets.

 >3. I hear my maximum bit rate is 224? but I hear 256 is the
 >best.

Reg replies:
320 is usually the highest available.  Using compressed sound files is
about balancing quality against saving space.  What the "best"
compromise may be will depend on how much you worry about space saving,
and on your ears.  If it sounds good to you, it's good for these
purposes.

 >4. There are some other settings and mine are at normal, and one
 >combo box that JFW doesn't read well. It is the last combo box
 >there it says "1" 2 of ten. What is this box setting.

Reg replies:
There are a lot of different ways of adjusting the results, the one that
says "normal" refers to the quality.  This is usually about how
carefully the encoding is done, and therefore the speed of the process;
not the bit rates used.  The last combo box is called "VBR Q" according
to Window-Eyes.  It might be another way of altering the preset, but I'm
not sure, as changing it doesn't change the other settings reliably.  I
think the 96 minimum and 224 maximum should give you pretty good
results.  You can always alter those combo boxes for the bit rates
upwards.  For example, minimum 128, and maximum 256 or 320, and see if
you notice an improvement, and how much bigger the files are.

Good luck

--
Reg Webb
Website: