[whpva] Re: Vote on change of rule 3.3.1

  • From: Theo Schmidt <sus2006@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: whpva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 20:43:26 +0200

Dear all,

I am sorry that Giovanni calls this rule change proposal my "personal "war" against IHPVA". This is a process which has been going on since several decades, initiated by American, Australian, British, and German members of the then IHPVA. I am simply the last one of these to try to get these rules, since Richard Ballantine became ill and died and the original proposers have become old or left. The idea of all these people was that it should be possible to stage events as locally as possible and not have to travel to far-away locations, even within the very large USA, but especially not from Europe or Australia.

There are several main motivations for people involved with human powered vehicles: science and technology, sports and competition, health and environment, and touring and transportation. My motivation is mainly environmental and therefore I think there should be useable sites in every country or at least every continent. Human power is about efficiency and chances for all, and not burning many tonnes of fuel within a few days, something which only the rich can afford, albeit at the cost of others, with the accelerating effects of climate warming and ocean acidification.

My second main motivation apart from personal transport is science and technology, and here it is poor science to call something human-powered which isn't. I'm surprised that our organisation with the most descriptive name, Propulsione Umana, doesn't take this seriously.

Other people have different priorities. Edgar told me that for him it is primarly science/technology and then sports/competition. For most active Future Bike members it is first touring and transport, then sports and competition and then environment. Or similar.

The Battle Mountain records are really sports records. There is nothing wrong with this, the same site for all, but the records have too much gravity assistance to be real human power. The IHPVA was formed as an alternative to the UCI, a sports body which is interested primarly in competition and less in science and technology. Now we are trying the same, trying to escape the constraints imposed by what are now sports rules. If we fail, the WHPVA will itself be a sports body, like the UCI, whose 200m rules (besides not allowing recumbents and fairings) have flying-start run-ups of varying lengths around one kilometer. In sports it is about prestige and money, right down to the village level.

So if you feel the WHPVA should be about sports, do vote NO, but if you see the other priorities, please vote YES.

Best,
Theo Schmidt, Future Bike Switzerland

Am 10.10.2017 um 18:56 schrieb Giovanni Eupani:

Dear all,

I try to be short.