[webproducers] Re: iPhone App budgets

  • From: Tamara Samassekou <tsamassekou@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:58:04 -0400

Hi Kirk,

I worked as a producer for a few major iPhone apps. Feel free to
contact my email directly. There are a few key things I'd like to
express:

- this isn't your regular softwre development. It takes a considerable
input of time and coding, as your average app takes thousands of lines
of code and many hours.

- don't underestimate timeline. You can't guarantee how long the
approval process will take. You may want to schedule as much as a
month for this step as a buffer. This may be as few as only a few
days, so be prepared to be flexible in your launch date.

- inform yourself thoroughly of the process and educate your client.
Here it's more important than ever to set client expectations.

- don't underscope budget. Make sure you can cover your development
costs. HIRE A TALENTED AND PROVEN TEAM. Make sure they have past
experience doing apps (have already launched apps). A decent app is at
least the mid 5 figures easy.

- learn how to market the app effectively. With so many apps in the
store, it's hard to be noticed. Try to get your app featured. Learn
how to price it properly. I would highly recommend $1.99 if it's a
paid app. Research this yourself to be sure.

-KEEP THE APP UNDER 10MB. Streamline the code for performance and to
encourage downloads.

Best of luck. I hope this helps.

Tamara

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 15, 2009, at 3:35 PM, Kirk R Cameron <kirkc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I was wondering when a client was going to ask me this and it finally
> happened.
>
> I have a non-profit client that has a pretty strong idea for an App
> and they asked me how much development/build and launch would cost.
> Can anyone give me a range of budgets they've seen and rough turn-
> around times?  I know it's an obtuse question.  The only specific
> info that may impact these figure will be that the App must interact
> with Contacts and Phone so it will dig a little deep into the Apple
> iPhone OS.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Kirk
>

> --=
> Too much e-mail? Manage your subscription at at
> http://webproducers.org/?page_id=9
>
> Web Producers Job Board http://jobs.webproducers.org
>
> Join us on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3877&trk=hb_side_g
>

> Messages are archived in our publicly accessible web archive. Trim
> your posts and delete personal information if you do not want them
> in the public web archive.

--=