[webproducers] Re: helping clients express what they want for design

  • From: james scola <jscola_72@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 09:04:33 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone,

This is my first time responding to the group, I hope
my insight will prove helpful Morry. Irresepctive of
the design medium, probing the client for their design
preferances and reasons for them is key. If it is in
the web space, I suggest gaining insight into the
clients tastes beyond the web, sometims clients aren't
as adept in the medium as one would hope, as was the
case with a recent client.

Some of the questions I will ask the client is:

What they feel the image of the company is or the
image they would like to portray?

The image of the industry and of the competition?

What is unique about the company?

Often times color is crucial to a client, they may
have definite palette choices.. as did a recent client
of mine. Color can help direct the process. Though
some designers like to relegate this to the end and
work in black and white during the concept phase.

In short ask the client questions about themselves,
find out who they are?  The better you understand them
as people and their goals the easier it becomes for
you.

The key is to do your research. I think you will find
that the design process is more abstract and involves
gathering information that does not directly relate to
visual tastes.

Another suggestion is to gather any existing marketing
or design material the client has. Dissect it to gain
a better understandng of the clients preferances,
whether they like what they have or not; it can
prevent you from going down blind alleys or provide a
spring board for acquiring a "feel"(not to say that
you should replicate these designs, I believe in
originality).

I am also a fan of consistency throughout design
mediums. Think beyond your project and think in terms
of future branding.

Though the design process can be daunting at times and
it may feel like you are more of a gypsy mind reader
than a designer; it's crucial to it's success and can
be exciting once the brain storming actually begins.
Yes sometimes you need to lead the client, but I have
found that the more I involve the client in the
intitial concept(assuming they want to be involved or
at least open minded to ideas) the more enjoyable the
process becomes..which benefits everyone.

I hope this has helped.

best,
james scola

--- m o r r y <morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I got a request from somebody to suggest a good
> resource or list of questions etc. to help a client
> to express what they like design-wise to help start
> the design process.
>
> Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?
>
> thanks.
>
> morry

> www.WebProducers.org. You can also access the list
> archive at the website.
>
> Questions and comments are welcome just e-mail  info
> at webproducers dot org

=====
James N Scola

Questions and comments are welcome just e-mail  info at webproducers dot org