[webproducers] Re: helping clients express what they want for design

  • From: Michael James Pinto <michaeljamespinto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:37:02 -0800 (PST)

--- m o r r y <morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I got a request from somebody to suggest a good resource or list of
> questions etc. to help a client to express what they like design-wise
> to help start the design process.

A major part of a design education is what is known as a "crit" which
is short for critique. In this exercize each student puts their work up
on the wall and all of the other students are invited to tear it apart.
While this process makes you a better designer on one level, on another
level it teaches you to speak about design and know how to ask the
right questions. Yet after four years of this training one is only
ready to take their first baby steps in terms of knowing the right
questions to ask to better understand the needs of the client. In fact
part of the trick is knowing when the client doesn't know what they
want.

Tell your friend that a cheat sheet can't replace years of pain, err
"client experience".

: )

Michael

=====

Questions and comments are welcome just e-mail  info at webproducers dot org