[webproducers] Re: IE and Margins

  • From: "P. Colin Manikoth" <colinm@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 11:00:23 -0700

Below is a 1. Possible Solution, and 2. My Personal Opinions.

1. Possible Solution: It's not an IE rendering issue.

A. On line 19, of the file "default_css_35.css" the list markers are set to
display none for class "accountinfo". Override the inheritance, one possible
solution, declare a *very* specific selector. E.g. Declare ".accountinfo
#content ul#list-with-marker ". Google "CSS Specificity" for details. Use
Firebug to see the inheritance.

B. Avoid inline styles. If you can't access the stylesheet, put the styles
in the head tag.

C. Resetting styles, e.g. Zeroing margin/padding is good practice. Browsers
have different defaults. See
http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2007/05/01/reset-reloaded/

2. Personal Opinions

A. Web Producers is not a CSS discussion board. I believe you would get
better answers on:

http://www.css-discuss.org/
http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53

B. CSS is a misunderstood language. It's better to understand how it works,
than find workarounds. Don't fight the technology, or you'll lose. See the
Box Model, Specificity, the cascade, advanced selectors, etc.

I hope you find this helpful,

-colin

--
Check out the Web Producers Job Board http://jobs.webproducers.org

Messages are archived in our publicly accessible web archive. Trim your posts
and delete personal information if you do not want them in the public web
archive.

e-mail)

Manage your subscripton (digest, vacation mode, unsubscribe) at
http://webproducers.org/join.html