[webproducers] Re: IE and Margins

  • From: "Ryan Champagne" <ryanpchampagne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:59:32 -0400

Ahh, gotta love cold fusion ::bleh::
I have had to do some recent overhauls because of IE not playing well.
Unfortunately, thats always the problem. We have to program for the dumbest
of browsers and only show the fun stuff on browsers that will play nice.
Not, sure what you are trying to accomplish with that inline CSS, but if
your trying to get the bullets back, you have to define that. Those bullets
look like they are custom images.

ul{ list-style-image: url(bullet.gif); }

If the browser doesnt support that you could add *
       list-style-type: disc;*
Sometimes the image doesn't align itself the way you want either and you
might need to place it inside the list item block instead of outside. In
that case you can use:
       *list-style-position: inside;
*Of course, since CSS is a nice clean language, you can combine all of it
too:
      *ul{ list-style: disc url(bullet.gif)* inside; }

As for just making the bullet show if its none of these, There is also a
trick where you have to define a left padding and a left margin because IE
and Opera handle lists differently. I can't remember which pertains to which
but you can try them out.

Hope this helps,

-Ryan Champagne