[wdmaudiodev] Re: vista: not appearing as system audio device

  • From: Nick Dowell <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:58:57 +0100

I simply changed the Category of my bridge pin's descriptor to KSNODETYPE_LINE_CONNECTOR, and that was enough to make the device appear as a system-selectable audio device.

For example, here is the descriptor for my audio render bridge pin:

{
        NULL,                                   // Dispatch
        NULL,                                   // AutomationTable
        {
                0, NULL,                        // Interfaces (NULL, 0 ==
default)
                0, NULL,                        // Mediums (NULL, 0 == default)

                SIZEOF_ARRAY(DataRanges_Analog),  // Range Count
                (PKSDATARANGE*)DataRanges_Analog, // Ranges

                KSPIN_DATAFLOW_OUT,             // Dataflow
                KSPIN_COMMUNICATION_NONE,       // Communication
                &KSNODETYPE_LINE_CONNECTOR,     // Category
                &KSNODETYPE_LINE_CONNECTOR, // Name
                0                               // Reserved
        },
        KSPIN_FLAG_PROCESS_IN_RUN_STATE_ONLY | // Flags
                KSPIN_FLAG_FIXED_FORMAT,
        1,                                      // Instances Possible
        0,                                      // Instances Necessary
        NULL,                                   // Allocator Framing
        NULL                                    // Intersect Handler
},

Note that this is the BRIDGE pin and not the data sink pin which performs the actual processing - it is a dummy pin which tells the system where the audio signal will end up (in this case a line connector). If you don't have bridge pins defined, then I'd imagine that would be a problem too!

Hope this helps,

Nick

On 11 Sep 2006, at 06:53, Steve Thorpe wrote:

Can anyone offer some advice on this? I'm still not sure how to implement thsi
fix. Thanks

Steve Thorpe
Empia Technology, Inc.

Steve Thorpe <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi,

I seem to have a similar problem on a USB audio driver (MSVAD based)
How do I go about making the category changes you describe to get it to
show up?

Thanks

Steve Thorpe
Empia Technology, Inc.

Nick Dowell <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: You were spot on - my bridge pin Category was KSCATEGORY_AUDIO - I was
using KSNODETYPE_xxx for the KSPIN_DESCRIPTOR::Name field.

After changing the bridge pin category to KSNODETYPE_LINE_CONNECTOR (for
example) I can see my audio device!

Thanks,
Nick

Mitchell Rundle wrote:
What is the category of the bridge pin? To show up it needs to be one of:

KSNODETYPE_SPEAKER
KSNODETYPE_HEADPHONES
KSNODETYPE_LINE_CONNECTOR
KSNODETYPE_SPDIF_INTERFACE
KSNODETYPE_MICROPHONE
 KSNODETYPE_HANDSET
KSNODETYPE_HEADSET_SPEAKERS
KSNODETYPE_HEADSET_MICROPHONE

If the category is KSCATEGORY_AUDIO, then the device will only show up if you go to mmsys.cpl and chose "show disabled devices".

Regards,
Mitch Rundle
Microsoft Corporation