[wdmaudiodev] Re: vista: not appearing as system audio device

  • From: Steve Thorpe <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:36:56 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you,

I am still abit vague about which category I should be using.
The device is USB Video chip with audio - it is typically used with
TV Tuners, video decoders (accepting S-video or Composite inputs)
and as a webcam (with built in camera sensor and mic )
So, (for now) no audio render, just capture.
Any ideas on which category I should select (and why) would be apprecciated.

Thanks,

Steve Thorpe
 Empia Technolgy, Inc.

Mitchell Rundle <mitchr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Various system and application
components may make functionality decisions based on the Endpoint Form Factor
(which is derived directly from the bridge pin category) because of the
specific capabilities implied.  For example:

- Vista chooses a specific icon for that form factor.
- The "Sound" control panel app (mmsys.cpl) provides a speaker configuration
wizard for Speakers and HDMI endpoints, but not for Headphones or Line-Out
endpoints.
- The Windows-supplied system FX has several different sub-effects that are
specific to Endpoint Form Factors.  E.g. Headphone virtualization is only
applied to Headphones;  room correction is only applied to Speakers;  etc.
- Speech-recognition software may prefer to use Headset microphones or Mic
Arrays over desktop microphones.  It probably wouldn't work with Line-In
devices at all.

In other words, it's important to choose the bridge pin category carefully.
This was far less important in earlier versions of Windows.

The list of categories that I sent out earlier wasn't quite complete.  Here is
the complete list:

Render categories:
- KSNODETYPE_SPEAKER
- KSNODETYPE_DESKTOP_SPEAKER
- KSNODETYPE_HEADPHONES
- KSNODETYPE_LINE_CONNECTOR
- KSNODETYPE_SPDIF_INTERFACE
- KSNODETYPE_DIGITAL_AUDIO_INTERFACE
- KSNODETYPE_HDMI_INTERFACE
- KSNODETYPE_HEADSET or
- KSNODETYPE_HEADSET_SPEAKERS
- KSNODETYPE_HANDSET
- KSNODETYPE_ANALOG_CONNECTOR *
- KSCATEGORY_AUDIO *
- KSNODETYPE_PHONE_LINE *
- KSNODETYPE_CD_PLAYER *

Capture categories:
- KSNODETYPE_MICROPHONE
- KSNODETYPE_DESKTOP_MICROPHONE
- KSNODETYPE_OMNI_DIRECTIONAL_MICROPHONE
- KSNODETYPE_MICROPHONE_ARRAY
- KSNODETYPE_LINE_CONNECTOR
- KSNODETYPE_SPDIF_INTERFACE
- KSNODETYPE_DIGITAL_AUDIO_INTERFACE
- KSNODETYPE_HDMI_INTERFACE
- KSNODETYPE_HEADSET
- KSNODETYPE_HEADSET_SPEAKERS
- KSNODETYPE_HANDSET
- KSNODETYPE_ANALOG_CONNECTOR *
- KSCATEGORY_AUDIO *
- KSNODETYPE_PHONE_LINE *
- KSNODETYPE_CD_PLAYER *

Important note: * indicates a category will result in a endpoint device that is
hidden by default.

Mitch Rundle
Microsoft Corporation