[wdmaudiodev] Re: USBAudio.sys filter driver?

  • From: Walter Oney <waltoney@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 14:13:38 -0400

Akos Horvath wrote:
> So my question is, can I put some sort of filter driver between USBD.sys and
> USBAudio.sys? If so, do I need to do anything special to get Windows to
> actually try and use USBAudio.sys with this non-compliant device? If not,
> does anyone have any suggestions on how I can try and create a driver for
> this device?

I think you would need to write what amounts to a bus driver for your
USB device. Wearing its bus driver hat, it would create a PDO for a
virtual device. The virtual device would appear to be a standard USB
audio-class device. You would need to supply a complete (virtual) set of
descriptors for this device, and you would also need to simulate the
operation of all the standard commands sent to you inside URBs. You
would communicate to your real device by sending URBs down the parent
driver stack.

Frankly, this is not a very easy driver to write, even though it's easy
enough to describe the basic functionality it provides. Wouldn't it be
cheaper to just reengineer the microphone?

--
Walter Oney, Consulting and Training
Basic and Advanced Driver Programming Seminars