[wdmaudiodev] Re: USB Audio Class 2.0

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 13:56:50 -0800

Chris Barker wrote:
> I've been a lurker on this thread for a while. I'm not actively
> involved in the industry but I am a audiophile and been dealing with
> PC (e.g. Windows) audio for decades.
>
> If there is need  to further prove the audience size for improved high
> bit rate audio support built in Windows, one only has to contact the
> guys at LH Labs (http://lhlabs.com/) and their very successful
> Kickstarter and Indiegoo Geek DAC projects.

It is really hard to talk about topics like this in an objective and
business-oriented way, because the whole arena is filled with so much
astrology and incense and pyramids.  Physiologically, 384kHz audio is
just dumb, as is 192kHz and 96kHz.  Anything more than 48kHz is just
wasted bits.  Sure, a few people are willing to spend money for that
kind of equipment -- those are the same people keep telling themselves
that tube amplifiers are better.  They are buying Macs because Macs are
cooler.

I'm just not sure that a company like Microsoft can ever have mindshare
in that population.  Even if they released a USB Audio 2 driver stack
tomorrow, I don't think it would be trusted.