[wdmaudiodev] Re: USB Audio Class 2.0

  • From: Børge Strand-Bergesen <borge.strand@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 12:24:56 +0100

Good question Jerry. Here's what I can do.

I'm willing and able to test and evaluate kernel mode UAC2 code
intended to work with multiple DACs. Preferred and easily available
platforms are Win7 32 and 64.

Also, I've got DACs for programmers who wish to work on a Windows UAC2
driver. See www.qnktc.com

In addition to sounding good, the DAC has RS232 and JTAG debug
possibilities. The firmware is open source generic C for the Atmel
AVR32 family. Adding debug functions is easy. The DAC can be flipped
between UAC1 and UAC2. It works in UAC2 on Linux, OS X and a Windows
ASIO driver. The ASIO driver is a user-mode dll which plugs into the
player sw. It's written in open source C++. The USB part is handled by
libusbk.dll and libusb.sys.

While the bulk of the code has been written by others, I have
contributed debug functions and an optimized asynchronous USB feedback
engine. That is an area where I could also contribute to the
algorithms in a driver.

If Microsoft remain passive about UAC2, I wish to do this within a GPL
framework. See https://github.com/borgestrand/winuac2 However,
implemented well, a Microsoft distributed driver would be infintely
better. Assuming it gets some traction I'll happily contribute to a
closed source driver instead.

IMHO, driver work could for example start out on a DAC like mine with
fully accessible firmware, and then progress onto DAC families with
closed-source or hard-coded controllers. Eventually, ADC functions and
the full UAC2 specification could follow.

Børge